18 February 2011

Pancetta Green Beans and Valentine's Day

For Valentine's Day, Andrew and I decided to make dinner together, in part to save some money, in part so I could make the French Fridays with Dorie recipe, and in part so I would could watch the first episode of Watson playing on Jeopardy (which was pretty hilarious). We did, though, decide to splurge a little bit and got some huge and subsequently delicious porterhouse steaks.

Porterhouse

The pancetta green beans were really quite delicious. I must admit that I was a little lazy with this recipe and didn't bother to blanch the beans and probably overcooked them a little bit. What can I say? I was already a few glasses of champagne in! The pancetta was also surprisingly salty. I've used it several times before, although I usually used Volpi instead of Boar's Head, and I'm not sure if that made a difference. It wasn't terrible at all, but I am glad I didn't add any more salt to the dish. The flavor was complex and a little smoky. While I love green beans plain or sometimes with almonds, this added a welcome punch up of flavor.

Pancetta Green Beans

For dessert I'd made a red velvet cake using this recipe from Smitten Kitchen. Despite lots of red gel food coloring, the color was not quite there, but rich and moist nonetheless. I also used the Southern Comfort Buttercream recipe from The Boozy Baker, except I used Jack Daniels instead. It was a lot of flavor and I probably should've used a little less frosting, but it was really easy to work with, so I just kept working with it. We finally finished off the last piece yesterday.

Red Velvet Cake with Bourbon Buttercream

Me

Dessert

Roses

It was probably one of the very best Valentine's Days ever.  

4 comments:

  1. Nice that it all started with the beans...well, kinda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect Valentines day dinner and perfect roses!! I love your heart shaped cake too!!
    Im glad you enjoyed the FFWD green beans! We loved them too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah. At home dinners are the best! Sounds like a perfect evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun evening...complete with beautiful roses! I'm glad you liked the beans. We did too!

    ReplyDelete